Thursday, March 2, 2017

I returned to work today after missing 22 school days due to the back injury. I am home now icing and heating my back as it is not in good shape after working all day. One good thing that happened today was one of the kids that knocked me down (he is on my SpEd caseload for emotionally disturbed behavior) came by my classroom once he heard I was back and asked me how I was doing.  He was earnestly and generally concerned about my back. I have never seen him display an ounce of emotion until today. As we were talking,  I could see his face soften and his eyes dart to the ground like a wounded animal.  I reassured him that I was on the mend. He perked up at that point and said that I better take care of myself and follow doctors orders. I thought this was quite funny coming from a 14 year old kid who is so self-absrobed he couldn't tell you what work he had just completed 10 minutes ago. I told him that I would indeed follow doctors orders. He proceeded to share that he has told everyone they better be calm when walking down the hallway where my classroom is located and that he better not hear of anyone coming down that way when class is in session unless they have a hall pass. I am optimistic that maybe, just maybe,  he learned from this event! Sometimes lessons learned don't come from the mandated curriculum or textbook. All educators need to be reminded of this every now and then.

On a different note, some things never change. I was walking down to the dean's office to turn in all the pink slips (suspension papers) the substitute had completed. One of the security officers said that we were in lockdown. I asked him why we didn't have a code word or practice this procedure. He said that it's not mandated to do so in the district. I asked if I should go back up to my classroom. He said if you don't have students your good. I clarified that this was not a drill, but indeed a lock down. He replied that it was, but couldn't share details. My momma didn't raise an idiot. So, needless to say I moved as quickly as my back would let me back up the stairs to my classroom and stayed behind locked doors until I knew it was safe to leave my room. Again, I am appalled with the things that this district repeatedly does that puts students/staff in harms way. I am quite certain as an educator our number one job is to send the goods home unharmed at the end of the day.


No comments: