I spoke briefly with my coworker from across the hall she teaches the emotionally disturbed kids in middle school. She informed me that somehow the door to my room is broken now and it no longer locks or closes all the way. Her students are the culprit of the door situation. They are the reason I couldn't get the key to work until the 4th or 5th try that led to me getting caught up in the 'incident'. She went on to inform me that not only were there no consequences for breaking my door, the students that were involved went running through the halls and returned with treats from other staff members. Thankfully, I don't have anything of real value because I know it is now gone. I just hope students didn't steal my copy paper. I have been buying if myself since the end of October. The allotment we receive for the year contains 4 reams of paper that lasted about 7 weeks.
In the days of teaching not so long ago I would've felt so guilty about missing so much work. I view it as neglecting my students preparations for the future. In this situation, I feel no guilt whatsoever. I think partly because I truly don't even get to educate because these students are so unwilling to learn and partly because I am in so much pain and know that my health comes first. It is what it is but I would like to eventually have a normal back again and be able to return to work to continue trying to make a difference.
1 comment:
Oh my Tiffany!! I don't know how you are dealing with that. I am so sorry it's such a tough situation. I am back in the classroom, as a substitute at the moment, and things have changed a lot since I left teaching full time 14 years ago. I only have little people, but I can imagine with nothing left unchecked what they turn into by the time they get up to you! No accountability from the time they are in Kindergarten. What do we expect? Bless your heart for trying to make a difference. Hoping you get some answers soon and feel better! Hugs!
Post a Comment