Thursday, June 19, 2008

June 19, 2008

You know you aren't in the lower 48 when you can't get pics to download...
Quick update...

We made the ferry trip well. The kids had a blast!! I had a little cabin fever. Scott, of course, didn't want to get off the ferry!

We then drove through a little piece of Alaska then went through Canada --customs there was interesting, about 1 hour + of waiting and they had to inspect things in the truck! Now if you all knew how packed the truck was you would laugh hysterically!!! The inspectors were great about and very friendly, Ay!!! We stayed in Haines Junktion Yukon Territory!! I was lucky enough to spot a grizzly eating flowers on the side of the road just before reaching our Canadian destination for the day... He just looked up and posed for a pic and continued to eat his flowers!! It was AWESOME b/c we were the only people on the road.

The next day we continued driving the Alkan through Yukon and I spotted a HUGE moose digging his snout underwater in a little pond. I have know idea what he was doing but he was ENORMOUS!!! Great pic of him as well... We finally arrived to Tok, AK about 6 or 7 hours later... LONG drive on the very torn up and gravel ALKAN!!! In Tok we stayed at a great hotel that was two hotels from a shop that sold iditarod sleds and YES racing puppies!!!! The children begged and begged for a husky pup but as I said earlier -- never been more thankful for a STUFFED to the top truck!!!!! They were precious pups but they were bred from racing parents.... Not enough yard where we will be living to have one! We then ate at a restaurant recommended by the Canadian border inspectors and many people that have completed this drive called--- Fast Eddy's!!! Eddie thought that was funny, because our neighbor Caryl in Ecity called him that!!! I have a great pic of him in under the sign...

Yesterday we drove 315 miles in 6 hours to Anchorage... There are no interstates in AK!!! We are staying at Fort Richardson Army base. We hit the commissary for some non-perish items and WOW can you say cheap cheap cheap!!!! Everything in there was cheaper than the Commissary in VA!!!! ODD!!! We then drove around Anchorage! Neat place! Has everything-including an Outback Steakhouse which is Findogs fav. So, where do you think we went for dinner last night. Last chain restaurant until we visit grandparents!!! I am so sick of eating out I don't think I ever want to eat out AGAIN!!!! I am also pb and j'd out!!!! We have had a lot of those!!!

Must go.... We are now heading on our final leg of the journey!!! We are leaving for Homer now and then getting on the Ferry to Kodiak at 8:30 tonight with arrival to Kodiak at 11:15 a.m. tomorrow morning!!! Next post will be in KODIAK, AK our new home...

God Bless to ALL!!!!

No comments: